Tuesday, September 03, 2019

Harvesting Tomato Seeds Tutorial


The second project I've done from my new book Propagating Plants is harvesting tomato seeds. I looked up tomato in the index and was directed to page 307.


Above is an excerpt from pages 307. I followed the instructions for harvesting tomato seeds. "Aside from F1 hybrids, tomatoes come true to type, so it is worth saving seeds. If you are doing so, allow the fruits to ripen just beyond the eating stage. Cut open and squeeze the seeds and pulp into a bowl. Label and leave undisturbed in a warm place for 2-3 days. A thick skin should form, and the gel that coats the seeds will ferment. After 3-4 days (no longer), scoop the skin off the top and rinse the seeds thoroughly in a sieve under running water. Spread out on paper towels to dry. Seeds can be stored in a cool, dry place for up to four years."





A few tomatoes from the Bruce Botanical Food Gardens. I'm especially interested in the seeds from the tiny yellow tomatoes. I think they are an heirloom variety called yellow currant tomato. I would like to grow them next spring.

September 1st, evening. Seeds from the tiny ripe yellow tomatoes only. It doesn't take many. The seeds neatly squirted out. I going to top off with a little water so they don't dry out.


 

September 5th, morning. A skin has formed as indicated so I'll scoop it off, rinse the seeds thoroughly and spread them out on a paper towel to dry.


September 6th, morning. Here are my tomato seeds! When they dried I brushed them off the paper towel onto the above plate. Why harvest tomato seeds? It costs nothing, plus it's easy, satisfying and rewarding.




A scan of pages 306 and 307 from Propagating Plants.


Propagating PlantsHow to Create New Plants for Free ISBN-13: 978-1465480125 is available worldwide at DK CanadaDK US, and DK UK. DK was founded in London in 1974 and is now the world leading illustrated reference publisher and a member of the Penguin Random House division of Bertelsmann.


Dorling Kindersley logo


6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a book I would really enjoy! Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is interesting how to harvest the tomato seed and the seeds can be stored for four years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought this book for my son based on your review. He has used it already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an interesting book. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. I like the photos/illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've often thought of trying this but wondered if it would really work.

    ReplyDelete