Monday, July 06, 2020

Modern Rainbow Patchwork Quilts Review

Quilting has a fresh new look in Modern Rainbow Patchwork Quilts by Paula Steel. It features 14 gorgeous rainbow-themed patchwork projects - 3 mini projects, 5 cushions and 6 quilts. The smaller projects are ideal for beginners, while the blankets are for those more confident. Chapter 1 begins with the basics - color, fabric, tools and techniques. In Chapter 2 tutorials cover the skills necessary to complete the projects and serve as a reference. They include blocks, basting, quilting, binding and making an envelope cushion. Both the tutorials and projects are broken down into easy-to-follow steps with detailed illustrations. Alternative design ideas like changes in color, size, fabric etc. are offered for each of the blankets. A link to a downloadable PDF with coloring pages and a layout supplement is included. With her contemporary designs, techniques, fabrics and color choices Paula shows us an appealing take on modern quilting! The complete table of contents is listed below. Casemate IPM released this 176 page paperback on May 19, 2020. It is also available in e-book format. Get your copy below!


contents

CHAPTER 1 The Basics

Introduction to the basics
Using colour and fabric options
Rainbow order (ROYGBIV)
Using the whole Rainbow or part of it?
Types of fabric
Sourcing your fabrics, finding a rainbow
Useful tools / Things you will need
Essentials
Extra fun tools I use
Techniques
Abbreviations


CHAPTER 2 Tutorials

Introduction to tutorials
Basting Quilts
Quilting your quilt
Binding your quilt
Making an envelope cushion
Half Square Triangle Tutorial
Method 1. Half Square Triangles 
(two at a time)
Method 2. Half Square Triangles 
(four at a time)
Method 3. Half Square Triangles 
(eight at a time)
Trimming Half Square Triangles
Flying Geese Tutorial
Method 1. FLYING GEESE 
(one at a time)
Method 2. FLYING GEESE 
(four at a time no waste method)
Diamond in Square


CHAPTER 3 Quilt Projects

Introduction to quilt projects
Vintage Stars Double Quilt
Racing Stripes Lap Quilt
Ombré Compass Double Quilt
Starburst Lap Quilt
80s Revival Single Bed Quilt
Picnic Squares Quilt


CHAPTER 4 Cushion Projects

Introduction cushion projects
Vintage Dash Cushion
Cabin Block Stripes Cushion
Shaded Arrows Cushion
Large Garden Floor Cushion
Neon Squares Cushion


CHAPTER 5 MINI PROJECTS

Introduction to mini projects
Large Rainbow Star Purse
Rainbow Coasters
Rainbow Drawstring Bag


CHAPTER 6 RESOURCES

Shopping Guide
Acknowledgements



Picture

Ombré Compass Double Quilt


Starbust Lap Quilt


Cabin Blocks Cushion


Large Rainbow Star Purse




























Back cover of my copy.

Modern Rainbow Patchwork Quilts is available in Canada and the USA at Casemate IPM and in the UK and Europe at Pen and Sword Books. It is published by White Owl an imprint of Pen & Sword Books, publishers based in England. 


Atomic Kitty 
Not in the book but a PDF is available at Paula Steel Quilts
Download for mini quilt, large tote bag and cushion (pillow).


20 comments:

  1. I love rainbows in patterns or shapes! Seeing the colors in order is very pleasing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so bright and colourful. I have always wanted to complete a quilt.
    jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a quilt kit for my daughters crib 27 years ago, now my granddaughter uses it on her bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love colorful patterns on quilts like the ones shown here. My Mom can sew. Unfortunately, that talent did not pass on to me, but I would love to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely product.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cover and especially want to know about tips and tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned that she has included mini-projects to practice the techniques. I could use these as I haven't quilted for a while. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great info and tips! And the Pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely stunning! I love the colors of these modern rainbows. I wonder how long this would take a novice quilter to make...

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so beautiful - I would love to learn how to create them myself

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous! I love the Starburst Lap Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know a quilter who would love this book. I have shared that information. The patterns are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so pretty! I wish I knew how to quilt

    ReplyDelete