Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Sprouting Beans in a Jar Tutorial


The first project I've done from my new book Propagating Plants is sprouting beans in a jar. I looked up beans sprouts in the index and was directed to pages 308 and 309. The technique is rated easy.

Above is an excerpt from pages 308 and 309. I followed the instructions for sprouting beans in a jar. "Soak beans in 1 in (2.5 cm) of cold water in a jar overnight (see inset). Seal with muslin; drain off the water. Leave in a warm, dark place. Rinse twice daily until sprouted."  That's it.



The small green beans above are mung beans. They are commonly used to make bean sprouts. I bought about a cup of them at the bulk food store for less than a dollar.



Morning of August 11. My beans are prepped for overnight soaking. 




Morning of August 14. After soaking overnight, followed by two days of rinsing twice daily my beans have sprouted and are ready to eat. 



The above photo shows my beans sprouted in the mason jar. I have removed the muslin and sampled the sprouts. They taste nice, crunchy and delicious. I'm thrilled! Have a go. It's fun! Why sprout mung beans? Because they are packed with healthy nutrients and taste great. Have you tried sprouting?










A scan of pages 308 and 309 from Propagating Plants.


Propagating Plants: How to Create New Plants for Free ISBN-13: 978-1465480125 is available worldwide at DK Canada, DK US, and DK UK. DK was founded in London in 1974 and is now the world leading illustrated reference publisher and a member of the Penguin Random House division of Bertelsmann.


6 comments:

  1. Very cool! This sounds like something I would really be interested in reading! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interesting thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this a lot and do it myself quite regularly. Soo good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look good enough to eat. I like making plants. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know not a mung bean fan, but I like the book and I am sure I can find something else to try. I purchased this for my son and it is very informative.

    ReplyDelete